Christian Porter has proclaimed that details buried within his rape accuser’s 88-page document prove he’s innocent and that the woman behind the allegation was ‘unwell’, but her friends and supporters adamantly disagree.
The previously unpublished dossier prepared by the Adelaide woman details her belief she had experienced ‘symbolic’ bruises decades after the alleged 1988 sexual assault.
Kate wrote in September and December of 2019 that bruises appeared on her arms, feet and knees, alluding to fringe psychological theories that the body can sometimes ‘store traumatic events’ which will reappear years later, news.com reported.
Christian Porter has proclaimed that details buried within his rape accuser’s (Kate, pictured in high school) 88-page document proves he is innocent and that the woman behind the allegation was ‘mentally unwell’, but her friends and supporters adamantly disagree
Mr Porter (pictured in parliament) was forced to stand down as Minister for Industry, Science and Technology on Sunday over revelations he accepted money from a blind trust to pay for his defamation lawsuit against the ABC
‘Somatic memory, my long-term psychiatrist … told me is well-recognised in the scholarly psychological literature on assault and trauma. Unfortunately, the law does not yet consider this as ‘evidence’ of a crime,’ the complainant wrote.
‘Since then, I have regularly developed bruises on the places… my knees, inner arms and the soles of my feet are the particular sites. I would get these bruises when I was stressed (particularly at debating conferences).’
Mr Porter was forced to stand down as Minister for Industry, Science and Technology on Sunday over revelations he accepted money from a blind trust to pay for his defamation lawsuit against the ABC over the alleged rape scandal.
The former attorney-general tendered his resignation because he couldn’t give enough information about who the anonymous donors were in order to avoid perceptions of a conflict of interest.
The scandal triggered a media storm in recent days sparking uproar right across the political spectrum and in the community.
Labor opposition called his willingness to accept money from an unknown source an ‘outrageous abuse of his office’.
Christian Porter (pictured with wife Jennifer before they separated) has vowed to recontest his seat
The embattled Western Australian politician had been unable to speak about the 88-page document provided by the ABC to his lawyers, claiming it could not be disseminated for any other purpose.
But in a 1,600-word-long statement on his resignation, he blamed the ‘media’ for his downfall and said the 88-page document proves his accuser ‘lacks credibility’ and that the public broadcaster had omitted his complainant’s claims of traumatic stigmata.
‘The most frightening indicator that the public broadcaster was central to this shift to a presumption of guilt in a trial by media is the fact that the ABC — seemingly with great care and effort – has reported only those parts of the information that it has in its possession which feeds into its narrative of guilt,’ he said in his lengthy statement.
‘I have recently been provided from a source outside the ABC with a copy of the only signed document that the person who made and subsequently withdrew the complaint ever made.
‘Many parts of that 88-page document are such that any reasonable person would conclude that they show an allegation that lacks credibility.’
Christian Porter (pictured during a debate when he was a schoolboy) said the alleged rape ‘just didn’t happen’
The ousted Attorney-General filed a case against ABC journalist Louise Milligan (pictured at the March 4 Justice rally)
Mr Porter says her accounts were based on ‘repressed memory’ which has been completely rejected by courts as unreliable and dangerous.
The Liberal Party politician also raises questions about the reliability of her ‘diaries said to be drafted in 1990/91 but which were actually words composed in 2019; and, were written by someone who was, sadly, very unwell,’ he said.
But Kate’s friends and supporters reject Mr Porter’s claim that her memories were ‘suppressed’ maintaining she had never forgotten about the alleged sexual assault.
‘This is not the case. She had sought professional help years before 2019,’ her friend Jo Dyer said. ‘Her memories never had to be ‘recovered’.’
Ms Dyer also says it’s important to understand the unpublished 88-page document which includes the ‘symbolic’ bruising was never included as evidence in her police complaint, or in her 25-page dossier sent to prime minister Scott Morrison in February.
Christian Porter addresses media in Perth, Wednesday, March 3, 2021 to out himself as the politician accused of the 1988 rape
Mr Porter’s resignation and subsequent financial mess came when he sued the ABC over a story that revealed a ‘senior cabinet minister’ was accused of raping a teenage girl.
The man once-tipped to be a future PM outed himself as the minister days later in February and vehemently denied the allegations that dated back to 1988 when he was 17.
The woman in 2019 came forward to police and accused Mr Porter of sexually assaulting her when she was 16.
However, Kate chose not to go forward with the case and took her own life days after informing police of her decision.
The matter was closed in March 2021 when police found there was not enough evidence to proceed.
Mr Porter sued the ABC in the Federal Court and the parties settled in June with the broadcaster agreeing to place an editor’s note alongside the story.
Christian Porter (pictured with wife, Jen and daughter Florence) waves to the media after voting on May 18, 2019
ABC journalist Louise Milligan (above) reported of the existence of allegations on against an unnamed Cabinet minister in February. Mr Porter later outed himself as the minister allegedly responsible, in order to deny the claim, saying it ‘just didn’t happen’
The note said the ABC regretted that some readers had misinterpreted the piece as an accusation of guilt against Mr Porter over the alleged incident.
The ABC forked out $680,000 in taxpayer funds defending Christian Porter’s defamation lawsuit and then paid his lawyer a further $100,000 in mediation costs.
ABC managing director David Anderson later told a parliamentary hearing in Canberra revealed that Mr Porter twice offered to settle the action – both before and after the broadcaster presented its defence.
Mr Porter accused the broadcaster of a humiliating back down after the agreement was reached, prompting the ABC to release another statement rejecting his claim it regretted the story.
‘I, on behalf of the ABC, am not humiliated and we do not regret the article,’ Mr Anderson told the hearing.
If you or anyone you know is in need of mental health support, you can call Lifeline on 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636, for free confidential support.
For sexual assault support call 1800 RESPECT (737 732).
The rape allegation: A timeline
1988: Debating competition in Sydney at which woman later alleges she was raped
2013: Woman tells sexual assault counsellor about her allegation
Late 2019: Woman engages lawyers and prepares a statement
February 2020: Woman reports allegations to NSW Police
March 2020: Police postpone trip to visit her due to Covid-19
June 2020: Woman withdraws allegation and dies by suicide
February 24, 2021: Anonymous letter is sent to PM detailing allegations
March 1, 2021: PM says minister completely rejects the allegations
March 2, 2021: NSW Police close the case
March 3, 2021: Christian Porter goes public to deny allegation
March 15, 2021: Mr Porter sues the ABC for defamation
March 29, 2021: Following the fallout from the alleged scandal, Mr Porter is removed as attorney-general in a ‘cabinet reshuffle’ and shifted into the less high-profile Industry, Science and Technology portfolio
May 31, 2021: Mr Porter drops his case
June 25, 2021: A bombshell dossier detailing the woman’s alleged ordeal is published online by the Federal Court
September, 14: It is revealed that Mr Porter’s legal bills were footed by anonymous donors in a blind Trust, sparking a furious media scandal
September, 19: Mr Porter steps down as as Minister for Industry, Science and Technology over the ‘perceived conflict of interest’ of accepting money from unknown sources